CONSTITUTION OF INDIA, PROFESSIONAL ETHICS & HUMAN RIGHTS
1. To provide basic information about Indian constitution.
2. To identify individual role and ethical responsibility towards society.
3. To understand human rights and its implications
Introduction to the Constitution of India, The Making of the Constitution and Salient features of the Constitution. 2 Hours
Preamble to the Indian Constitution Fundamental Rights & its limitations. 3 Hours
Directive Principles of State Policy & Relevance of Directive Principles State Policy Fundamental Duties. 2 Hours
Union Executives – President, Prime Minister Parliament Supreme Court of India. 3 Hours
State Executives – Governor Chief Minister, State Legislature High Court of State. 2 Hours
Electoral Process in India, Amendment Procedures, 42nd, 44th, 74th, 76th, 86th &91st Amendments. 3 Hours
Special Provision for SC & ST Special Provision for Women, Children & Backward Classes Emergency Provisions. Human Rights –Meaning and Definitions, Legislation Specific Themes in Human Rights Working of National Human Rights Commission in India 3 Hours
Powers and functions of Municipalities, Panchyats and Co - Operative Societies. 2 Hours
Scope & Aims of Engineering Ethics, Responsibility of Engineers Impediments to Responsibility. 2 Hours
Risks, Safety and liability of Engineers, Honesty, Integrity & Reliability in Engineering. 3 Hours
After study of the course, the students are able to
- Have general knowledge and legal literacy and thereby to take up competitive examinations
- Understand state and central policies, fundamental duties
- Understand Electoral Process, special provisions
- Understand powers and functions of Municipalities, Panchayats and Co-operative Societies
- Understand Engineering ethics and responsibilities of Engineers.
- Have an awareness about basic human rights in India
1. Durga Das Basu: “Introduction to the Constitution on India”, (Students Edn.) Prentice –Hall EEE, 19th / 20th Edn., 2001
2. Charles E. Haries, Michael S Pritchard and Michael J. Robins “Engineering Ethics” Thompson Asia, 2003-08-05.
1. M.V.Pylee, “An Introduction to Constitution of India”, Vikas Publishing, 2002.
2. M.Govindarajan, S.Natarajan, V.S.Senthilkumar, “Engineering Ethics”, Prentice –Hall of India Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi, 2004
3. Brij Kishore Sharma,“Introduction to the Constitution of India”, PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2011.
4. Latest Publications of Indian Institute of Human Rights, New Delhi.